Welcome to the Chasco Fiesta Hunger Walk for Pasco County Site!
Why We Walk
The Hunger Walk is a collaborative effort to promote hunger awareness and to raise funds for hunger relief for children and families living in Pasco County.
By participating in the Hunger Walk you will help raise funds that will provide healthy meals for many children and families that are going hungry. You will also enjoy a fun, family festival atmosphere that includes activities, games, and entertainment.
- In Pasco County, more than 36,000 kids live in households that struggle to put food on the table.
- 65,000 people in Pasco County live below poverty level – just one emergency away from homelessness.
- Florida has the third largest population of homeless persons of any state in the nation.
- 52% of schools in Pasco County receive free and reduced lunches for their students. Many of these same students do not have enough food to eat over the weekend.
- Children who go hungry are more likely to be sick, hospitalized, miss school and have chronic health issues as they grow up.
- Metropolitan Ministries in Holiday serves over 2000 hot meals each week to families in Pasco County.
- Pasco Pack A Sack sends home close to 500 sacks of food each weekend to students in Pasco County schools.
Metropolitan Ministries started in 1972 to reach out to the poor and homeless families in our community. Recently, Metropolitan Ministries in Pasco has opening up a feeding kitchen where they are able to make hot meals. They are currently providing 2000 hot meals each week for low income and homeless families and individuals.
Funds raised at the 2015 Hunger Walk will be used to help Metropolitan Ministries open more feeding sites in Pasco County. Each hot meal costs $1.76 per person.
Metropolitan Ministries offers many services to the poor and homeless including:
- Hot Meals in currently being served on Saturday and Tuesday evenings.
- Emergency food / clothing assistance
- Health Clinic
- Employment Development
- Hot Showers